From tailgating to summer barbecues, a dependable cooler is an awfully nice thing to have on hand, and these days, you’ve got more options than ever. Regardless of where you are going and what you’re doing, you’ll definitely need something to keep your drinks and food cool along the way. Coolers can help during a short day trip and can help more during longer trips. But in order to make sure that you get something that does what you need, you’ll need to know the best coolers out there.
When it comes to coolers you simply cannot try and pinch pennies. A dollar here or there could mean the difference between coolers that keep your beer ice cold and food fresh for 24 hours or coolers that constantly send off a foul odour and you don’t know why. Don’t get me wrong here, I don’t mean to imply that you have to spend an arm and a leg on coolers in order to get yourself one of the finest models on the market.
5 Best Medium Coolers Comparison Table
Last update on 2019-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top Medium Coolers
Here are our favourite top 5 medium coolers available in 2019 as proof that quality coolers can be affordable.
Yeti Tundra 65 Medium Cooler
YETI Tundra coolers are the stuff of legends. They’re built for whatever Mother Nature throws their way, which is surprisingly a long list of incredibly dangerous creatures and weather patterns. But no sweat — these outdoor coolers are more than up for the challenge. From the backcountry to the BBQ get-together, your YETI Tundra is ready for any and every outdoor adventure.
- Fatwall Design: Extra-thick walls hold up to two inches of insulation for unmatched ice retention.
- Permafrost Insulation: Pressure-injected commercial-grade polyurethane foam in the walls and lid makes sure your ice stays ice.
- Rotomolded Construction: It makes it armoured to the core and virtually indestructible.
- Product Dimensions: 30.5 x 17.5 x 16 inches
- Item Weight: 35.7 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5 stars (273 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #64 in Camping Coolers
The YETI brand was built on the legendary toughness and insulation power of the Tundra®. The Tundra® Haul™ – our YETI ice chest with wheels – is built to live up its namesake.
Every Tundra® is built to take a beating and keep your goods perfectly insulated no matter the terrain you roam—and no exceptions were made in the design and engineering of this cooler with wheels.
The Tundra Haul™ features a stainless steel arm that is curved and tracks either left or right for better towing comfort. We design the cooler with a taller, cubed build for better stability without sacrificing internal space to accommodate for wheels or axles.
Just like you—your Tundra can go the extra mile with ease, making the YETI® Haul the toughest cooler with wheels.
ORCA 58 Quart Medium Cooler
It is also pretty sturdy and well made. This means that it will last while you’re out in the woods. However, just like Yeti coolers, this ORCA one is going to cost a pretty penny as well. But it can be a good investment for people who like to camp a lot.
- ORCA root-molded cooler
- 58 qtr. Capacity
- Up to 10 days of ice retention
- premium insulation
- Lid gasket to ensure a perfect seal
- Extendable flex-grip handles for comfortable solo or tandem portage
- Cargo net attachment for added storage
- Easy-flow drainage spout
- SELECT propellants that deliver consistent accuracy and performance
- Product Dimensions: 36 x 21 x 20 inches
- Item Weight: 36.4 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5 stars (24 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #603 in Camping Coolers
Coleman Xtreme Medium Cooler
Keep your food and drinks cold for an extended time, and make the fun last longer, when you bring a Coleman Xtreme Cooler. Xtreme technology uses an insulated lid and extra insulation in the walls to keep your items cold. You’ll have plenty of space for refreshments for the entire party. Whether you’re headed on a long weekend camping trip, a road trip, or out to a BBQ, the comfort-grip no-crush handles make getting to your destination easy and comfortable. Once you arrive, the Have-A-Seat lid will ensure you always have a place to sit and relax, and the cup holders molded into the lid will keep your cold drink close while you enjoy the day. When the fun is done, the EZ-Clean top wipes clean and makes it easy to empty any excess water without tilting the cooler, so you’re ready for your next fun adventure.
EZ-Clean Lid: With its smoother texture, the EZ-Clean lid wipes clean easily, making cleanup a breeze. You’ll be ready for your next outdoor gathering in no time.
Have A Seat Lid: Sturdy lid supports up to 250 pounds so you always have an extra place to sit and relax with friends and family.
No Crush Handles: Side handles feature a positive stop for no-pinch carrying, making it a cinch to lift your cooler in and out of the car.
Built-In Cup Holders: Conveniently molded into the lid are 2-inch-deep cup holders to keep drinks handy and avoid spills.
Dimensions: 36.8 x 19.3 x 18.75”
Shipping Weight: 12.3 pounds
Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5 stars (352 customer reviews)
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #8 in Indoor Bike Storage and #51 in Camping Coolers
RTIC Medium Cooler (RTIC 45 White)
This cooler is all about extremes – from impact resistance and durability to long-lasting ice retention. This midsize cooler makes a perfect multi-purpose cooler. It can be carried by one person. The RTIC 45 can do double duty as a bench, non-slip step stool, tabletop, and extra cutting board while keeping ice, perishables and vital supplies cold.
- Roto-Molded Construction
- Heavy Duty T-Latches
- Freezer Grade Gasket
- Molded Tie-Down Slots
- Up to 3″ of Insulated Walls
- Non-Slip Feet
- Integrated Locking System
- Bear Resistant.
- Rapid V-Drain System
- No Fail Hinges
- No Sweat Exterior
- Cool Lift Design
- Molded Side Handles
- Shipping Weight: 30.4 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars (416 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #176 in Camping Coolers
Bison Medium Cooler 50 Quart: Rotomolded Cooler Box
The 50 Qt. (Gen 2) Bison Cooler is a perfect everyday cooler that keeps food fresher and drinks colder. We’ve included a host of new and improved features on our Gen 2 cooler line including a double-wall silicone gasket, larger drain plugs, ergonomic grab handles, larger lid locks, and an incredible fit and finish.
- Durable, roto-molded construction
- Thick pressure-injected insulated walls for maximum ice retention
- Heavy-duty rubber latches with a cantilever hinge system
- Double-wall silicone gasket for sure tight seal
- Locking lid with integrated ruler
- New larger dual drain plugs for faster draining
- Full-length durable self-stopping hinges
- Open, ergonomic grab rails provide easy carrying, tie down or for securing cooler
- Oversized anti-skid rubber feet
- Capacity is true to size
- (42) 12oz cans at 2:1 ice: drink ration or 65 lbs of ice
- Exterior dimension: 30.5″ x 17.5″ x 16.5″
- Interior dimension: 22.25″ x 11.3″ x 11″
- Dry weight: 32 lbs
What to look for in a Medium Cooler? – Buyer’s Guide
There are many coolers from different brands, and it can be a pickle in the jar trying to choose from the list without being privy to some information forehand. Below are some product features and tips that you should pay close attention to while doing your research on the item. They include:
- Insulation: The type of insulation used determines the time the cooler can keep cool. Better quality insulation means more cooling hours.
- Durability: The cooler should be made of a robust and durable material that guarantees long service life after exposure to the weather elements and outside conditions.
- Portability: The cooler should be sizable and light enough to carry around while walking in around. A right size should also save on storage.
- Size: The cooler boxes come in various sizes for different needs. It is therefore essential to identify your needs and determine the volume that works for you.
- Cost: Cost is influenced by many factors such as sizes, the brand even the different shop outlets. Therefore, it is essential to do a window-shopping before making the actual purchase.